Surf Etiquette

Surf Life Shop Forums Surf Blogs Surf Etiquette

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  surflife 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

surflife
    Keymaster

Very important to know the rules of surfing, to avoid pissing people off, and be respected yourself.
    These aren’t all the ‘rules’, but the ones I think are most important. So in no particular order…

If somebody is already on the wave, has been paddling from further out or is on the outside of the wave, then they have priority of the wave, and if they come towards you, you need to get off the wave as safely and quickly as possible.

If you are paddling back out, and you see an experienced surfer coming along the wave towards you, and you know there wont be enough time to keep paddling forward, you need to start paddling towards where the other surfer is coming from so they can go past you easily, without running you down.

Although most surfers are friendly people, there are spots where locals like to bunch up at a certain point and if you go into their section and attempt to catch every single wave, you may end up going home with two half’s of a board.

If the conditions are too big for your experience, just don’t go in. Not only will this be dangerous for you, but other people will end up coming to have to help you back to the shore, putting themselves at risk too.

Don’t let go of your board… This happens way too often, where people sh*t themselves as a huge wave starts to come down on them, so they decide to let go of their board and swim under it. But what they don’t realize is that usually you have a 6ft leash attached to a 6ft board, making a 12ft flail that can hit anyone behind them with no notice.

Part 2 of don’t let go of your board… Another common consequence of letting go of the board, is that the leash may be a bit worn and coupled with a powerful wave, that leash isn’t going to hold. So enjoy your swim back to shore, chasing after your board.

Watch out for rip currents. Easiest way to find out about potential dangers is to ask the life guard on duty. If there are none, then watch the foam on the surface of the water. If the foam bunches up and flows into a certain direction, then you’ll know that there is a rip current there, moving the water in that direction.

Don’t surf between the red and yellow flags, this is for swimmers and body boarders only. And it wont take long for a lifeguard to be out next to you telling you the same thing.

Try to go with a friend, or make yourself noticed by others in there, as then if anything happens to you, people will be looking out for you.

These are the main rules of Surfing I can think of at the moment. Do email me any others, and I’ll add them to this list.

Thank you for reading,

Charlie – SurfLife.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.